Our neighbor has a giant _______ tree. If I was smarter I'd know what kind of tree it is, but I have no idea. (Marlo if you're reading this have Jared fill in the blank for me).
It's right on the border of our two front yards.
When we first moved into this house, the very first thing our kids did was go straight to the tree--the Tree SWING to be specific. They all fought over who was going to be the first to swing on our new swing. After a few minutes I informed them that no one was going to swing on it because it was not our swing. It was the neighbors and I did not want to see them on it.
They all walked away from their newly found treasure, but over the next few days I'd find someone trying to sneak a swing in. "What did I tell you!" I would chastise. "Stay off the neighbors swing!!"
A few nights after we moved in I found a plate of cookies at my doorstep with a welcome note attached. They were from the darling lady next door. On the back of the note she had written, "Feel Free to Use the Swing Anytime!"
Apparently I'm not as quiet as I thought.
My children were thrilled. At last they could swing. The neighbor had given them permission and that was all they needed to hear!
Everyone in the neighborhood has the occasional swing, but I'd say my children utilize it 90% of the time.
In the fall the tree is beautiful. Its leaves have been the backdrop for my Halloween pictures the past 3 years. Remember these? Every Autumn it fills the neighbor's yard and ours with an abundance of leaves. I look forward to them falling every year.
Chloe and I had fun outside today while Lexi was taking her nap. She wanted me to push her "super high," but not "scary high!" Chloe's new thing is finding leaves and gluing them onto paper. Simple pleasures.
This is the view from the window in Lexi's room. I love rocking her and watching the leaves fall. I love living in an area where the changing of the seasons is so very visible! It has a very calming effect on me.
It makes me think of this quote, "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."-Ralph Waldo Emerson.
They say the foliage is about three weeks behind in changing and falling. That's fine by me. I'll enjoy a few more weeks of watching the leaves fall; unless nature decides it's been patient long enough and decides to send a little snow our way. But I'm looking forward to watching that fall too!
2 comments:
Such cute pictures Lani! I know I've been guilty of using the swing on occasions :)
Beautiful! We don't get much color here in Texas and I miss Autumn. We're still using our air conditioner. Chloe has grown so much!!
Post a Comment