Friday, March 6, 2009

Let Those Neon Lights Shine!

In order for you to really get into the spirit of this post I'll need you to click here first.
 
Did you click on it?  Seriously, you'll enjoy my post so much more if  you click-  you don't have to watch the whole thing  just the first 20 seconds or so will get you in the mood!
Okay!!  Now that I've taken you back to what has got to be the  BEST roller skating movie of all time, I hopefully have you thinking about the days of skating and roller rinks!

A few weeks ago our primary had their activity at . .  . a place, where nobody dared to go!  They called it. Xana. . . (Well, we actually called it Classic Skating)!
I was completely dreading going to this and I knew I'd be solo since Jared was working.  Trying to balance myself on skates, while helping my little girl stay up, and pushing a baby in a stroller wasn't my idea of a good time!!  But my luck started changing when Jared's parents said they'd come and help me keep an eye on Chloe.  HOW GREAT ARE THEY!      
But when we got there,  lady luck was on my side AGAIN and Janie didn't want my help at all! Can I just say--THANK YOU!  Embarrassing myself on skates in front of our new ward members wasn't necessarily at the top of my list!  
So as much as I was dreading taking my kids, I ended up having a great time just watching my kids have fun.

So here's the recap:
Janie braved the rink all by herself, you roll girl!!
And our kids had an added bonus to this primary activity--it was also a family outing. Their cousins are in our ward too!

Here's Janie and Jenna!

Madeline and Kate whizzing on by!

Cute Anna and Megan posing for the camera.

Logan had fun just hanging out with some friends and cruising around on the scooter.

Of course Chloe needed her turn!  I was actually BEGGED several times to let them push her in her stroller around the rink!

And to top it all off--Jared's mom braved the slippery rink and went out there and did the hokey pokey with her granddaughters!!  Go Grandma, go Grandma, go Grandma!!

And for those of you who would enjoy this:

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

(Sorry!  I hit the camera button off, but here's the grand finale!  I have to say-I LOVE it that the worker kid is going to give Sharon (Jared's mom) a piece of candy!)

10 comments:

Marlo said...

how fun!! and hey... I remember that skating rink!! So glad everyone had a good time and that Jared's parents could help you out (great video, not every grandma would do that, how awesome!!!!!) and yeah for Janie, that she went all by herself!! (also I enjoyed hearing your laugh on the video!!)

Keith said...

Wait a minute Lani--did you just make me watch Xanadu with Olivia Newton John and Andy Gibb!!!!...oh yeah you did. Glad to see my mom can still do the hokey pokey AND got a piece of candy to boot. I love the post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

FUN! Good thing your family has the natural talent to be able to ice skate. I'm pretty sure I didn't inherit that gift. But that's ok. Devowering slushies is my talent at the skating rink. :)

Shane's Angie said...

I spent many an afternoon roller skating around the cul-de-sac singing "Xanadu"! I love Classic Skating...maybe a GNO should include a trip to Classic Skating where we can pretend to be "muses"! Hah!

Anonymous said...

Very cute, I love it when grandparents join in with their grandkids. I loved the Xanado that was hilarious what were people thinking then????? LOL

jenwheezer said...

Just so you know, I did watch the video first. It had me cracking up! I wish there were pictures of you out on the rink. That would have really made my day:)

Mark and April Sullivan said...

Loved it!! Mark cannot believe I haven't seen Xanadu... we'll have to rent that one! Loved the hokey pokey!!!

Alisa said...

LOVED IT!!!! I'm totally in the mood to watch Xanadu now. Eden made me play the video 3 times while I sang the song. It looks like the activity was way fun. Sharon is a trooper to go do the hockey pockey with the kiddos. We'll have to all go skating together soon.

Jamie said...

Oh how I remember the good ol' days skating at Classic Skating. These pictures were like a walk down memory lane. It looks like everyone enjoyed themselves!

Maddie said...

I had fun on that day! Zooming, posing, and dancing all in the same day!