Friday, November 1, 2013

Grateful for . . .

Looks like there's nothing like a little gratitude to get me back to blogging.  A few years back I blogged about what I was thankful for throughout the month of November.  It was fun to do and it helped me focus more on the spirit of the holiday.  Guess what?!  Turns out my kids liked it too.    They keep asking me if I'm ever going to blog again.  Blogging is a great way to record our everyday happenings, so here I go!  (Again!)

Today I Am Thankful For. . . That Feeling You Have, the day after Halloween, when E V E R Y T H I N G (costumes, make-up, pumpkin carving, class parties, candy buying, trick or treating, etc. . .) is over.
 
 I think for the entire duration of my life, November 1st will ALWAYS be the day I give thanks that Halloween is over.  Don't believe me?  Just look at my post from two years ago.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not anti-Halloween. 
I'm anti-all the work that goes into making Halloween, well Halloween.

For me (the mom) getting things together for the spookiest night of the year takes a lot of time and effort.

But I do it to create memories.
Like this.
 
 



This year I had Maddie and Logan help Lexi and Chloe with their carvings.
Megan was at the Junior High Halloween Stomp,  Otherwise I would have had Janie and her team up.
I don't think Janie minded too much.  She did the entire carving herself!

And I do it so the junior high and high school kids can see Mr. Norris decked out as Voldemort.
Here he is with the Elder Wand (appropriately fashioned from our tree in the back).  
 
 
Who knew Voldemort drove a mini van?!
 
 

I do it because I love taking my kids pictures in the fall leaves.



 

 I think they secretly like it too!


I do it because after all the stress and craziness, I get those smiles. 
And it's worth it in the end.

Happy (day after!) Halloween!!


2 comments:

Maddie said...

Halloween was so much fun his year! I was glad to help you with carving the pumpkins, but you can't really tell that my pumpkin is a cat! I loved dressing up as a mad scientist and taking pictures in the leaves. Everybody's costumes were awesome, espiecially dad's costune. It's great that you are blogging again as well!

~Madeline

Marlo said...

Love reading your posts and seeing all your kiddos all so big! My kids always ask when I will blog again... Hmmm you've inspired me a bit, we will see! Love ya Lani, keep it going :)