On Saturday Jared, his mom Sharon, and I participated in the Utah Valley 5K (yep, for all those of you thinking that Lani and running don't really go together in the same sentence, apparently they do)!
My original plan for the 5K was to just have fun, walk and talk with my sisters, and get a t-shirt.
But things didn't really go according to plan.
I should have realized it earlier when not one sister signed up for the walk, but I didn't.
The morning of the 5K, Jared and I arrive and I look around. And do you know what I see!
People running, jogging, and WARMING UP in the parking lot. RUNNING and JOGGING and the "walk" hasn't even started!!
Then Jared looked at me and asked me what my "goal" was. Goal? What? Umm... I'm sorry I thought this was a fun little walk for charity! I told him I didn't really have a time in mind since I wasn't planning on being timed and that at this point I was just hoping I didn't finish last!
So, after Jared attaches the TIMER to my shoe (see-- in a fun walk you're not TIMED) and I recovered from flashbacks of running in PE class-- I just sat, looked at Jared, and told him I wasn't getting out of the car until I saw someone who looked like me getting ready to do the 5K!
Luckily, a few Lani clones started to appear and although I was still unsure I decided to get out of the car. We met Jared's mom at the starting point and got ready to run the race! As we were waiting Sharon told me she was nervous and I thought SO AM I!
My FABULOUS HUBBY finished 6 minutes under his goal! He even backtracked to take pictures of his mom and ran with her a little of the way to encourage her. Isn't he the BEST!
And guess what?! I actually finished. I had a really great time and would most definitely do it again!
It was fun cheering for her as she crossed the finish line. She is 63 years old and running races. Too cool.
After the race they post all your stats and your time. Sharon said her goal for next year was to come in FIRST in her age group! I'm so impressed with her determination!
The whole time I was running (okay, so more of walking really fast with a little running in between) I kept thinking of things to keep me going.
I thought of my sisters-in-law Tracey and April who run marathons and I thought, what do they think about for over 26 miles!?? I thought of Sharon running behind me and how inspiring she was running a 5K at 63!
And speaking of Jared's mom, Sharon was AWESOME!
Her goal was to come in under 1 hour and she did!! Her official time was 55 minutes and 24 seconds.
She actually jogged the entire way. THE ENTIRE WAY!! How amazing is THAT!!

12 comments:
Whoo Lani! Congradualtions!
Sounds like a great tradition your starting there Lani!!!! I'm very proud of you all... running, jogging... not my idea of a fun time. but walking and talking that sounds like a great time, (I would have done that with you!) glad you still went anyway, even if you didn't get to just walk and talk with your sisters!! and very impressive Sharon!!!!!
You are my inspiration Lani! I think that was great that you even got out of the car much less did it and finished. I think I would have decided to stay on the sidelines and hand out water.
i can just picture you in the car telling jard you're not getting out until you see others like yourself...too funny! i would have loved to walk and talk with you! my mom wanted to run 3 miles with me when she's down here and i think she's going to kick my butt! thanks for sharing.
Seriously Lan, I'm ferschnickity over this! Seeing you cross that finish line made me choke up! I am SO proud of you! You worked really hard and you did it! You ROCK!
Good for you! I was so scared to start jogging after having my baby, but once I did it, it wasn't so bad:) I wish I had done the run. Next year!
Way to go all of you!! It feels good to finish. Thanks for the pictures of the event too.
Lani - I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed! If I were there I so would have done it with you. You are my inspiration.
Your very lonely, sisterless sister in Nebraska
You all are awesome!
O.k. so I feel like a total slacker as your older sister. I'm so running this 5k with you next year! I'm so proud of you!!!
good job Lani! i am so excited for you. what an accomplishment!
Great job running the 5K. You do deserve a high five.
Post a Comment